This article applies to the following:
- Troubleshooting issues with dictation software
- Troubleshooting issues with dictation hardware
A. Foot Pedal not working with Transcription Buddy
1. Open Transcription Buddy and go to View => Options => Foot Control and make sure the Enable Foot Control checkbox is ticked.
If Transcription Buddy displays the following message, this indicates that the foot pedal is either not plugged in or the PC is not registering it.
2. Your first step should be to unplug your USB foot pedal and plug it back in to your PC. Restart Transcription Buddy and check the setting again. Tick Enable Foot Control checkbox if its available.
You may be promoted to run through the Foot Control Wizard to confirm the pedals on the control. You may also alter pedal functions on the Set Pedal Functions Window.
3. If you are still getting the message in step 1 try plugging your foot pedal into another USB port and restart your PC
4. If you are still getting the message in step 1 try using another foot pedal if one if available to make sure this is not a hardware issue with your foot pedal.
If you are still receiving the message in step 1. after trying all of the above steps you will need to contact your IT as there may be an issue with the USB connections on your PC.
B. My dictations are playing too fast using Transcription Buddy?
By default the right pedal is fastforward. You may have previously had the right pedal set to play but from time to time the foot pedal settings for dictation can get reset.
To check your foot pedal settings in Transcription Buddy carry out the following:
1. Open Transcription Buddy and go to View => Options => Foot Control and make sure the Enable Foot Control checkbox is ticked. If unticked, tick the box and you will be promoted to run through the Foot Control Wizard to confirm the pedals on the control.
2. If the box is ticked you should verify the action each pedal is set to complete by clicking on 'Set pedal functions' button.
3. By default the Right pedal is the fast-forward pedal, but often users will use this to play. Click one of the following two options to set the right pedal to play.
Foot Control options explained:
This dialog lets you assign functions for each pedal of your foot control and enables you to control the playback of sound data.
C. Dictations are not coming up to be assigned using a Philips/Olympus digital dictation device.
First ensure that your dictation device is correctly connected to the PC via USB. If you have a Philips or Olympus Digital dictation device, the device's screen will indicate that the device is connected to the PC. If the device is displaying the current dictation number and time, then the dictation device is not correctly connected to your PC.
1. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and try a different USB port
2. Loose connection: Ensure the USB cable is securely connected to both the cradle and the PC
3. Check to see if there is a problem with your cradle or docking station.
4. Windows has turned off the device to save power. In the Device Manager uncheck 'Allow thecomputer to turn off this device to save power'
5. Check that your Evolve dictation settings are correct. Legal Evolve Plus users - Click on the Evolve icon on the top left and go to Tools > Evolve Platform Options. Evolve users - go to Tool->Options->Dictation tab.
Place the path (Drive letter) to your dictation device or finished dictations folder into the 'Locations' field. Each path should be separate by ;
D. No sound or audio when playing dictations
There are a few items to check when the audio is not working on your dictation playback.
1. Confirm the audio is not on mute.
2. If the audio is not muted, try testing audio in other applications such as Windows Media Player or on YouTube for example? Or going to the work area on that PC, selecting dictations and see if the dictations will also play from there.
3. If you can not hear audio in other applications try using another headset. If another headset works, your current headset will need to be replaced.
4. If the other headset doesn't work, it may be an issue with the soundcard on your PC, please contact your IT provider.
E. Dictation(s) won't play with Transcription Buddy, as they are an unsupported format
Any dictations that have already been recorded as 'DSS QP' or DS2 can not be played via Transcription Buddy. A free mini player can be found here Free - Lite DS2 Player to play these dictations, however this will not work with a foot pedal.
To install the free player:
1. Click on the link above to download a DSSPlay zip file.
2. Open the zip file and copy the DssPlay file to your Desktop or My Document folder.
3. Go to Start->Control Panel->Programs->Make a file type always open in a specific program.
4. Select the file type .DS2 and click on 'Change Program'
5. Go to where you saved the DssPlay application in step 2 and select it.
These DS2 dictations will now open in this application. Please note that your foot pedal will not work with this free player.